Thursday, October 1, 2009

Life in Christ

Christianity is not merely a religion. Religion is the practice of beliefs and rituals. Some religions are bound by rules, and some may be founded in the belief that eternal life is achieved by good works. Christianity is based on faith and a relationship with Jesus Christ. A Christian is somebody who recognizes that Jesus is the Son of God, accepts that He is the only way to receive eternal life in heaven, and confesses that he or she is guilty of sinning and want to live a life fully dependent on Him. Christians are meant to love one another just as we have been loved by Christ.
Christ has shown the ultimate love to all. How many people do you know that would suffer and die just so that you may live forever? Knowing that we would forever be separated from Him, God sent His only son to live on earth and die a harsh death, so that we could have the choice to be with Him forever. Jesus Christ is the son of God and He walked this earth leading a perfect life. He faced all of the temptations that we do every day, and did not give in to any of them. He was mocked, ridiculed, and beaten for claiming that he was, indeed, the Messiah. Though he shared God’s love with everyone and worked miracles in many peoples’ lives, most still did not believe he was sent to save their souls. The day he was hung on the cross, the town gathered to watch and laugh. Three days later when he rose from the dead, the town was shocked. Yet again, God proved His power and might. Finally believing and understanding, the word of God’s greatness began spreading. He sent His only son to die, so that we may live. We are not bound to Him by our good works or a list of rules. He meets us where we are, and loves us unconditionally. We fail time and time again, but that does not stop His love, it only strengthens our reliance and trust in Him.
Though most Americans claim to be Christians, a lot of them do not understand what they believe or why they believe it. To be a Christian is to know Christ and live a life that reflects that. There are some people who claim to be Christians yet they live lives that say otherwise. False teachers, instead of showing love, mercy, gentleness, and forgiveness as Christ has, are quick to blame, condemn, and persecute. For example, on my school campus last year a man who claimed to be a Christian stood outside by the student union, yelling at students. He said that they were bad people and were all going to hell. True believers have a big role to play in guiding those whose image of Christ has been skewed by people who have told them wrong.
While it sounds simple to fully rely on Christ, it is not. As humans we are guilty of being selfish and wanting lives, materials, and many other things that will be beneficial only to us. We focus on the here and now, instead of the future. People want and strive to gain fun, money, love, and pleasure, yet when they do receive those things it is never enough. You see, without God there is a constant need for something greater, and while people search for that something, they look to anything but God. We like to have control, and if we rely on God, we have to give that control over to Him.
For me it is hard to imagine a life without Christ. He is the reason the sun shines every morning, the reason seasons change, and the reason I breathe. Since I became a Christian I have seen God work in my life in many wonderful and exciting ways. He offers shelter, comfort, peace, mercy, love, and many other desirable things. God is my rock, and I know that I can always rely on Him to see me through.
When I am faced with hard situations and when circumstances are not the best, I rely on Him to comfort me and bring me through those trials. He has never let me down. Friends and family may be forever, but they are not always the first to pick you up when you fall. In the Bible, Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I cling to the truth in that verse a lot of times, and when I am brought through tough times I am able to look back and see how God has worked every detail out for me.
My being at UNC-G is a good example of God’s perfect plans. In high school I planned on going to Appalachian for college. Having my brother and a lot of friends at Appalachian were the only reasons I wanted to go there. When I was deferred from the school, I questioned God’s reasoning because I had really good grades, had worked hard, and I just knew that I deserved to be there. Since then, I have realized that Appalachian was not the place for me. I hate cold weather, and I recently changed my major to nursing. Appalachian is frigid cold in the winter, and the school does not have a nursing program. I have been able to keep in touch with friends easier while being close to home, and I have had many wonderful opportunities to meet new people and form new friendships. Being patient and waiting in the Lord has brought me hope and blessings. He works for the good of those who love Him.
True believers know that they are to live in the world but not of the world. In today’s society, people’s ways of thinking have changed and many believe that they can live both in the world and of the world. I know that you cannot. Giving into temptations tells people that it is right to live for the moment and not to worry about the harm or consequences that choices may bring. Going to a party and drinking underage is wrong, and if a Christian is found doing it they are seen as a hypocrite and give other people an excuse to participate in the same behavior. Christians who live a life that is not reflective of Christ give non Christians reason to doubt Christianity. When non-believers are exposed to people who are hypocritical they question the truth. Should they believe in something that cannot be trusted? What is the actual truth?
Christians are not perfect and are guilty of making mistakes quite often. The important thing though, is for Christians to strive to mirror Christ in their own lives. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with your entire mind. This is the greatest and most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like it; Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” (Matt.22: 37-39) These verses that come from the book of Matthew give the most important rules for Christians to follow. By being obedient and loving God and others, Christians are able to be a real example to non-believers of Christ’s never-ending love for us.
The gift of Christ is free. God offers grace and wants to build a relationship with us. A relationship with God is not based on works or achievements, but on trust and faith. I have trusted in God for most of my life, and I can honestly say that not once have I regretted it. I stumble and fall when I rely on myself alone, but God is right there beside me waiting for me to run back into His arms. My God is a loving God who is quick to forgive, slow to anger, and always full of love.
Before calling yourself a Christian, as many people here in “the Bible belt” do, think about what Christianity means to you. Do you base your claim off of faith, relationship, and convictions, or off of an idea? Instead of judging other people’s beliefs and values, look at your own. Who do you live for?

1 comment:

Katie said...

This was such an amazing post! ...Jeremiah 29:11 was the first verse I memorized when I gave my life to Christ and is a verse that has helped me through a lot! Thanks for sharing