November 18, 2013
...I took a pregnancy test when I woke up and watched as my urine crept up the window darkening one pink line. I was disappointed that there was not a second dark line in the 30 seconds I stood staring...3 minutes is just too long to wait. I jumped in the shower and when it came time to towel off I decided to check out the test one last time. After all, I got in the shower before 3 minutes had passed. There was the faintest pink streak that made my mind wander. Am I imaging this? Is it real? I headed to work and decided to grab a digital test on my lunch break. I needed a definite yes or no answer. I decided that if that test was positive I needed a way to share the news with Nic. I spent a good while cruising through the baby section. The baby outfits were not gonna do it because they were all gender specific. I then walked the baby supply aisles in hopes of finding something that would send my message in a cheap, not too cheesy way. A $2.54 rubber ducky was my answer. As soon as I got home from work I peed on that stick...I didn't care that it recommended to test in the morning with 'concentrated' urine. I needed an answer now! To pass the time, I started tidying up the apartment and finding ways to distract myself for the longest 3 minutes ever. I was shocked to discover a YES in the test window. I still was in disbelief but decided to wrap up the rubber duck anyway.
I told Nic I had a treat for him when he got home. I was sitting on the couch, camera in hand to catch his reaction. He started opening the package and midway through said 'no s@#%' before lifting his head to meet my stare.
When he retrieved the duck he said one more time, louder, 'no s#^$!! Are you messing with me?!' When I responded with a no, he told me he needed proof. I took him to the bathroom where I had tucked away the 2 positive tests and showed him the proof. He was SO excited and shocked. He could not wipe the grin from his face and kept trying to express his thoughts...I think the reality of the positive pregnancy tests hit me during all of this and I could not stop laughing and crying. We decided that it was surreal feeling and couldn't decide if we believed the two sticks we were staring at.
At dinner, Nic prayed for a healthy pregnancy, protection, and for our sweet baby's life. Melted.my.heart. We are so excited for the next several months. Pregnancy is such a fascinating miracle, and we are grateful for the opportunity to experience! Yay for baby!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment